Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Deciphering The Cry

Many mothers say that they just know what their babies want by the type of cry they make.  This is not something new.  I remember hearing my mother best friend saying this to her husband after watching him trying to calm their baby one summer afternoon.  He seemed to try it all and nothing was working.  My mom's friend pick up the baby and instantly propped her on her shoulder and burped her.  Then she let out a half whimper and she began to feed her.  She just seemed to know exactly what her little one needed and in what order those needs had to be met.  Fast forward a few years to a woman and mother by the name of Priscilla Dunstan who had a phonographic memory.  Yes, you heard that right! Phonographic.  She has a visual memory of physical sounds..Kinda cool.  As a first time mother Priscilla had noticed that she could hear different cries that her child made and that each cry corresponded with a specific need that the child needed met.  She hypothesized that across cultural and racial boundaries that infants had cry reflexes much like other infant reflexes such as the moro, sucking and rooting, startle and step reflex.

According to Dunstan there were five very specific pre cries.  These are the noises you baby makes before they are totally freaking out.

"Neh"
The hungry cry. This sound is made sucking reflex is triggered, and the baby pushes it's tongue on the roof of the mouth.
"Owh"
Sleepy cry - This sound is very similar to a yawn
"Heh"
I'm not comfortable - This sound is exactly what you think it is and usually (at least with my daughter) is very repetitive.
"Eairh"
Lower gas - An baby uses this sound reflex to say they have an upset stomach.This sound and the "Eh" sound below to me sound very similar so when I hear either one I think belly issues, bowel issues or burping issues and that sorts out the problem.
"Eh"
I need to burp - Babies use this sound to say I need to burp but like I said it is very similar to the "Eairh" sound so if you hear the E noise try anything to relieve the discomfort of gas, burping or pooping issues.
 
Priscilla had began a clinical trial of her hypothesis with Brown University but abandoned the trial for consumer surveys and a small group observation.  She claims that she wanted to increase the speed to which she could bring this information to consumers and moms.  Unfortunately, this has brought a lot of criticism from the medical world who prides itself on thorough testing and feedback. 


 In my opinion her hypothesis is spot on! I can't tell you how much this helped me with my daughter during her first few weeks and I wish I had this information with my son. I highly recommend watching this video it really helped me and many of my Momville mommies with our little babies early on.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment