Thursday, September 27, 2012

It's Fall! Bring on the Pumpkin...and Pumpkin Spice Lattes

Sweet Lord it is fall!  There are so many things about fall that I just love. Cool air, crisp leaves, sweaters, Ugg boots and.....pumpkins! Babies in pumpkins, pumpkin picking, pumpkin pie and PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES!  Every year I take Trey and now Aubrey to a pumpkin patch and we take pictures and pick out a pumpkin and I seriously can't wait for that.  I will add that I fully intend on buying a huge pumpkin hollowing it out and sticking my child in it and taking adorable pictures. I can't wait to share them with you all! I have already purchased two..yes two, pumpkin pies.  I usually would make my own but I was feeling extra lazy.

Now, on to my favorite part of life..coffee! I am a super coffeeholic. I have Keurig Special Edition Coffee Brewer that I get more use out of then my oven or refrigerator.  I have never been a huge Starbucks fan but who can afford 5$ for a latte (my favorite drink of choice) two times a day and I happen to think their coffee is bitter.  So, I started to make my own.  I purchased a milk frother and was good to go! So, I will share with you my tips to an awesome latte and my favorite homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe.

Regular latte

Brew a very strong 1 cup of coffee..On the Keurig I use the cup up from the espresso size.
Put 1 cup of milk in the micorwave and nuke it for a minute.  I give the milk a run though with my milk frothier and pour it into my coffee....Voile!

Now on to the Pumpkin Spice!!!!

Pumpkin Spice Latte

Ingredients:


1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon unsweetened canned pumpkin puree or pumpkin flavored syrup
1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice *If you don't have pumpkin pie spice in your collection of spices, make your own! Mix equal parts of cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg- and measure from there.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup hot brewed, strong coffee
2 tablespoons half & half cream
1 teaspoon granulated white sugar, or more to taste
whipped cream, optional
ground nutmeg

Directions:

All the yummy ingredients
Mix together
1. In a glass measuring cup or microwave-safe bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, spice and vanilla. It smells amazing BTW!

Whisk in Milk



 2. Pour the pumpkin milk into a tall mug or glass and microwave for 1 minute and run your milk frothier through the mix until foamy. Add hot coffee. Pour in the cream. Add a teaspoon of sugar(or more if you like your coffee really sweet like I do). Stir, and taste.
3. Optional, but oh so good... add whipped cream on top and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Serve immediately!




I multiply this recipe by 4 and put it in a airtight container in my fridge.  I use 1 cup at a time.  I also use lactose free milk and I don't like the whipped cream..but this is why it is so awesome to make your own.  You can adjust the recipe to your taste. ENJOY!

Tip: If the mixture is too thick for your liking or to thin add or cut back the amount of milk you use or you can use pumpkin flavored syrup instead.  I prefer the real pumpkin because I feel like it is healthier.  Also, my son LOVES this milk.  I will heat it up for him and he thinks he is a big boy drinking coffee just like mommy.


Left over pumpkin and my yummy pumpkin milk...sorry for the nasty fridge I swear it is on my todo list :)




No comments:

Post a Comment